求Scott & Brendo - harrypotter Potter vs Twilight 的MP3音频文件

Hunger Games: Catching Fire: A textual analysis of Suzanne Collins& novels, and Twilight and Harry Potter too.
Ever Wonder What the Most Popular Adjectives in the Hunger Games Trilogy Are? We Ran the Numbers.
Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) in The Hunger Games. She'll probably be “weak,” “wild,” or “furious.”
Photo by Murray Close/Lionsgate, Inc.
This weekend, millions of preteens will flock to theaters to take in the Hunger Games sequel, , just as millions of preteens flocked to each of the . For the most part, however, these will not be the same people. Of the tens of millions who identify themselves on Facebook as fans of either of the two series, less than 20 percent are fans of both. Though both series are set in fantasy worlds and feature female leads, readers and moviegoers seem to ally themselves with either Team Stephenie or Team Suzanne, but not both.
Why might a reader take a shine to one series and not the other? The content, of course, differs considerably: Twilight is filled with fantasy romance, Hunger Games with fantasy violence. But what about the authors& approach to writing? Do their word choices, sentence structures, and other elements of their prose differ significantly? Is loving The Hunger Games but not
a matter of style as well as substance?
To answer this question, I could have read all of the books and offered my opinion on the authors& respective styles. But that&s so unscientific. (Also, who has the time?) Instead, I conducted a comprehensive textual analysis of the best-selling series. And to benchmark the comparison between Meyer and Collins, I decided to throw into the mix another wildly popular young adult series:
by J.K. Rowling.
Advertisement
&Textual analysis& sounds complicated, but it&s actually quite simple&a better term for it might be &counting words.& In 1963, statisticians Frederick Mosteller and David Wallace published one of the most famous &counting words& papers of all time when they determined, through analysis of word frequencies, that James Madison most likely wrote 10 of the anonymously penned . Using similar methods, but with help from a modern computer, which makes the &counting& portions of a &counting words& study much easier to perform, I conducted an equivalent analysis of the fantasy series in question.
Once the words have been counted, the most obvious question to ask is: Which words are used most frequently by each author? But this returns uninteresting results, as basic words like the, a, and and turn up most often in every author's work. The more interesting question is not which words are used most frequently, but which words are used most frequently in comparison to similar authors&that is, which words are most distinctive to a given author&s work. While studying the Federalist Papers, Mosteller and Wallace found that Hamilton used the conjunction while, as opposed to Madison, who preferred whilst, a distinctive word choice that, in combination with others, could be used to tell the writers apart. Below is a table listing the most distinctive adjectives used by Collins, Meyer, and Rowling. Words that were used by only one author or less than 10 times total between the three authors are not included in the lists, as they might only appear because they&re so rare, not because they&re characteristic of an author&s writing.
And below is a list of most common -ly adverbs by author.
These lists give us a sense of the authors& respective proclivities and reflect the general tone of each series. The Hunger Games is a technical dystopia relying on detailed descriptions of the action (thus the prevalence of words like &intensely& and &electronic&). Twilight is wrapped up in emotion (thus &anxiously,& &unwilling,& and &unreadable&&the last is typically used to describe a character&s expression). Harry Potter is an exploration of a world by turns wondrous and frightening (thus &dreamily,& &terrified&). Collins& adjectives are often used in a utilitarian manner, to describe processes (as in &One of the heaviest days of betting is the opening, when the initial casualties come in.&). Meyer, meanwhile, is more likely to use her adjectives to describe people (as in &he asked in his silken, irresistible voice&).
There are interesting patterns and contrasts among the authors to observe at the sentence level as well. The table below shows the top 10 most used complete sentences by each author.
Textual analysis has its limitations, of course, but word counting can illuminate the tendencies of writers in a way that word reading may not. Not all of Collins& tics will be on display in this weekend&s movie version, but if you go, don&t be surprised if you see Katniss &repeatedly& make &last-ditch& efforts to save her skin when &something is wrong.&
Of course, each series is made up of individual books, and there are variations within a series as well. Applying the same methodology to just the Hunger Games trilogy, I isolated the most distinctive adjectives for each of the three books. What I found was a transition from &weak,& &wild,& and &furious& in The Hunger Games (in which Katniss must endure the Hunger Games competition) to &mental,& &physical,& and &ridiculous& in Catching Fire (in which Katniss must handle both a second competition and a rebellion) to &glad,& &lucky,& and &funny& in
(in which Katniss struggles through a series of unfortunate events but ultimately finds a measure of peace). In other ways, however, Collins& books are remarkably consistent: The three books have a word count of roughly 101,200, 101,900, and 102,700, indicating she sticks to a precision formula for young adult success. By comparison, none of the
have a word count within 10,000 words of one another, and the last Harry Potter book is more than twice as long as the first.
Like the distinctive word lists, these sentences suggest something about each author&s style. Rowling&s betray her reliance on suspense: &Harry looked around,& &He waited,& &Harry stared.& (A list of her most frequently used sentences could be repurposed into a script for an absurdist play called Waiting for Voldemort.) Meyer&s sentences&&I sighed,& &He sighed&&show a text focused on the emotional lives of her characters. Collins& declarative sentences telegraph her books& relatively spare descriptions of the action.
Looking at Meyer&s sentences, you get the sense that she may be using similar sentences again and again&a pitfall, perhaps, of writing a series of such length. To determine the relative repetitiveness of each author, I first made a list of the 50 most common three-word sentence openings each author used throughout her work. For example, Collins& three most common openings were &I can see,& &I try to,& and &I have to.& Then I calculated the percentage of all sentence openings (not necessarily the whole sentence) that come from each author's most used opening list:
J.K. Rowling: 2.35 percent
Suzanne Collins: 2.69 percent
Stephenie Meyer: 4.42 percent
Clearly, Meyer&s sentence variety is lacking compared to Collins and Rowling. But in her defense, repeatedly starting sentences off the same way doesn&t mean the prose is bad&it just means it&s repetitive. Hemingway uses the same 50 openings (&There was a,& &He did not&) in 5.3 percent of all sentences in .
Ben Blatt is a Slate contributor and co-author of&. Follow him on .
Foreigners
Can America Lead Again?
It will take more than speeches and tough talk.
Anne Applebaum
The Real Solyndra Scandal
It’s that one’s noticed the enormous success of the government program behind it.
Daniel Gross
The XX Factor
It’s Cruel to Blame Moms for a Link Between C-Sections and Chronic Diseases in Their Kids
Melinda Wenner Moyer
Dan Kois’ Week on the Road
Day 1: A live podcast and the usual tourist town-lust.
Jimmy Fallon and Lena Dunham Battle for Lip-Sync Supremacy
Sharan Shetty
Future Tense
The Pope’s Climate Encyclical Now Has an Epic Hollywood Trailer
Eric Holthaus
Bad Astronomy
Crash Course Astronomy: Outtakes 2
Phil Plait
The USWNT Is Showing Improvement, but Needs to Show More if It Wants to Win the World Cup
Gwendolyn Oxenham&& 查看话题
800多部经典电影MP3汇总,转载的,狂顶,学习英语的好资源!
转载的,资源下载请点击:
/thread--1.html
Friends《老友记》1-5季电影mp3下载
《冰上公主》Ice Princess 电影mp3下载
《哈利波特与火焰杯》Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire电影mp3下载
《时光倒流七十年》 Somewhere in Time电影mp3下载
《雾都孤儿》Oliver Twist 电影mp3下载
《越狱》Prison Break1-2季电影mp3下载
《缘分天注定》Serendipity电影mp3下载
《诺丁山》Notting Hill 电影mp3下载
《生活大爆炸》Big Bang 第一季电影mp3下载
《美丽心灵》A Beautiful Mind 电影mp3下载
《恋恋笔记本》The Notebook电影mp3下载
《心灵捕手》Good Will Hunting电影mp3下载
《甜心辣舞》 Honey电影mp3下载
BBC《英国史》A history of Britain电影mp3下载
《国家地理百年》1-20集电影mp3下载
《辛德勒的名单》Schindlers List电影mp3下载
《肖申克的救赎》电影mp3下载
BBC纪录片《行星地球》Planet Earth 电影mp3下载
BBC纪录片《月球之谜》The moon 电影mp3下载
BBC《弗朗西斯科玩转威尼斯》Francesco's Venice 电影mp3下载
《欲望都市》Sex and the city 第一季电影mp3下载
《美丽心灵的永恒阳光》Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind电影mp3下载
《小公主》 A Little Princess (95年版)电影mp3下载
《绝望的主妇》Desperate Housewives 1-3季电影mp3下载
《加菲猫》Garfield 电影mp3下载
《录取通知》Accepted 电影mp3下载
《为你疯狂》 Addicted to Love电影mp3下载
《迷失》LOST 第一季电影mp3下载
《K歌情人》Music and Lyrics电影mp3下载
《天国王朝》Kingdom Of Heaven电影mp3下载
《绯闻女孩》Gossip Girl 1-2季电影mp3下载
《狮子王》Lion King 电影mp3下载
魔戒III The Lord of the Rings III The Return of the King电影mp3下载
《风雨哈佛路》Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story电影mp3下载
BBC纪录片《美丽中国》Wild China 电影mp3下载
功夫熊猫:盖世五侠的秘密 Kung Fu Panda: Secrets of the Furious Five电影mp3
《阿甘正传》电影mp3下载
《我最好朋友的婚礼》电影mp3下载
《风中奇缘》 Pocahontas 电影mp3下载
电影《玩具总动员3》原声+LRC对白
电影《傲慢与偏见》原声+LRC对白
《莎翁情史》Shakespeare in Love电影mp3下载
电影《海上钢琴师》原声+LRC对白
《暮光之城》Twilight电影mp3下载
电影《国王的演讲》原声+LRC对白
《天使之城》City of Angels电影mp3下载
《怪物公司》 Monster Inc 电影mp3下载
《战争之王》 Lord Of War电影mp3下载
《珍珠港》Pearl Harbor 电影mp3下载
《飞屋环游记》UP电影mp3下载
《冰河世纪》 Ice Age 电影mp3下载
BBC记录片《黄石国家公园》Yellow Stone电影mp3下载
电影《怦然心动》原声+LRC对白
《豚鼠特工队》 G-Force 电影mp3下载
《花木兰》Mulan 电影mp3下载
《舞出我人生》 Step Up 电影mp3下载
《小鹿斑比》Bambi 电影mp3下载
2006BBC版《简•爱》Jane Eyre 电影mp3下载
《人工智能》 A.I. Artificial Intelligence电影mp3下载
《优势合作》In Good Company 电影mp3下载
《马语者》The Horse Whisperer电影mp3下载
《灵异第六感》 The Sixth Sense电影mp3下载
《独领风潮》 Take the Lead电影mp3下载
《拜见岳父大人2》 Meet The Fockers电影mp3下载
《新岳父大人》 Father Of The Bride电影mp3下载
《女孩梦三十》13 Going On 30 电影mp3下载
电影《给朱丽叶的信》原声+LRC对白
《小鹿斑比2》 Bambi II电影mp3下载
电影《致命伴旅》原声+LRC对白
美国版我的野蛮女友 My Sassy Girl 电影mp3下载
《功夫熊猫》 Kung Fu Panda电影mp3下载
《当男人爱上女人》When A Man Loves A Woman电影mp3下载
《死亡诗社》 Dead Poets Society 电影mp3下载
《人鬼情未了》Ghost 电影mp3下载
95BBC6集电视剧版《傲慢与偏见》电影mp3下载
BBC纪录片《未来景象》Visions of the Future 电影mp3下载
《天生一对》 The Parent Trap电影mp3下载
《修女也疯狂》 Sister Act 电影mp3下载
《奶牛美女》Cow Belles 电影mp3下载
《狮子王2》 Lion King II: Simba's Pride电影mp3下载
《怪物史莱克2》 Shrek 2 电影mp3下载
《美国丽人》American Beauty 电影mp3下载
《风月俏佳人》Pretty Woman 电影mp3下载
《附注:我爱你》 P S I Love You电影mp3下载
《穿PRADA的恶魔》The Devil Wears Prada电影mp3下载
有空常看看很有帮助啊:tiger06: 这个一定要好好顶一下呀! :tiger05::tiger05::tiger05::tiger05::tiger05: 好东西啊,一定要顶 :tuzi6::tuzi6::tuzi6: :tiger05::tiger28: That's really great! thanks a lot.:victory: 感谢分享!一直想好好学习英语,可总也没能坚持下去。现在是眼看着英语在工作中的作用是越来越重要,下定决心要好好学习。感谢分享!顶下~ 感谢分享!一直想好好学习英语,可总也没能坚持下去。现在是眼看着英语在工作中的作用是越来越重要,下定决心要好好学习。感谢分享!顶下~ 很全,很棒!谢啦! 谢谢分享!!! 谢谢楼主的贡献 不错,谢谢! 帖子真精彩!
已经收录到淘贴专辑《》 :tiger05:好东西、、视频: [杨晃]哈利波特与暮光之城
分享给好友
您需要先安装&,才能下载视频哦
用优酷App或微信扫一扫,在手机上继续观看。
[杨晃]哈利波特与暮光之城
分享给站外好友
把视频贴到Blog或BBS
flash地址:
<input type="text" class="form_input form_input_s" id="link3" value=''>
<input id="link4" type="text" class="form_input form_input_s" value=''>
Harry Potter vs Twilight Dance Battle
节目制作经营许可证京字670号