4/F, 83 Changshu Lu,
near Julu Lu
常熟路83号4楼,
10 mins walk from
Sun-Thu, 11:30am-10pm
Fri-Sat, 11:30am-11pm
Local cards international accepted
Editor's Description
Fortune Cookie is an attempt to reproduce American-style Chinese in, of all places, China. They don't offer the same comprehensive menu that you'd find in your local chop suey palace back home, but most of the broad strokes are there: Orange chicken, General Tsao's beef, kung pao chicken, moo shoo pork, crab Rangoon. Order it to go, and yes, it will come in one of those iconic white cardboard cartons bearing the words "thank you come again" in that kitschy chopsticks font.
WE TAGGED THIS VENUE WITH:
Map is loading...
Lunch at Fortune Cookie is classic American Chinese dishes like beef and broccoli, tofu chop suey, orange chicken and sweet & sour pork. All combos come with a spring roll, steamed rice and a choice of soup. Prices range from 43 to...
NOT TAGGED |
Good Fortune
on June 24, 2015
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Posted 1 Reviews
I've got a lot of love for Fortune Cookie. The food is really good, better than what you generally get back in the States. Also, the food prices may seem high, but when you factor in the portion sizes, actually you get a lot of bang and bite for your rmbuck! The menu is varied with a great selection. Something for everyone. And the service is on point. I can't see anyone going to Fortune Cookie and not leaving fully satisfied.
on April 21, 2014
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Feb 29, 2008
Is American
Posted 1 Reviews
This place is so spot on it is not even funny.
I wish it was located a little closer to one of the metro stations it sits between, but it is not too bad of a walk from either Jing An Temple or Changshu Rd.
The place is clean and the service is good.
We got the shrimp chow mein (lo mein as well call it in some parts of the US), general tso's chicken, beef and broccoli, and the crab rangoons.
Every dish was done just right and we were satisfied.
As for nitpickings I think the price is a little much.
You are getting takeout food at restaurant prices.
It's existence in Shanghai in the first place could be seen as a fair tradeoff (and to fair it is a restaurant in the first place), but I'd eat here more if the prices were lower.
Also, for dinner we had to order dishes.
I would be inclined to go more often, and alone, if there were dinner sized combination plates, for example 1-2 entrees with a noodle/rice and soup.
Overall I am still really happy this place is around.
Maybe they can do another American style thing and open an express version of the restaurant as I've seen some American Chinese restaurants do.
Recommended by friends and not disappointed
on March 29, 2014
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Mar 21, 2014
Is British
Posted 1 Reviews
I had heard great things about this place from friends for a while and had been meaning to try it. When I got the opportunity for a friend's birthday I was not disappointed...
The staff coped with our large group and multiple ordering well and the food was delicious. American Chinese is somewhat different to what we have in the UK, where I'm from, but nevertheless felt like a taste of home!
Food was also very reasonably priced. It doesn't look like much from the outside but it is well worth a visit. Best to go with a group so you can get a selection of dishes and share.
Tastes like home.
on February
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Feb
Posted 1 Reviews
We enjoyed a dinner at Fortune Cookie with a few friends. We ordered several dishes and shared them around the table. The owners visited our table several times to check on us and to chat a bit. We had a great meal and a great time. The dishes reminded my of Chinese food from home, only better. We definitely plan to return.
See Here's The Thing...
on December
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
TimeOfYourLife2
Joined Nov
Posted 1 Reviews
I went when FC opened a few months ago. It was fantastic. I took a few people there to show them what American Chinese food was like. Everyone loved it. About 7 weeks later we went again. There were some noticeable differences in the food. The dumplings weren't as pink colored, the meat for the orange chicken was a bit chewy and the beef was mostly tough. Fast forward to this past week. The potsickers were so discolored I thought they could have been beef. The orange chicken is cut so thick it isn't even enjoyable and the beef is a joke. Massive slices of beef that you couldn't even chew through. To the 2 guys running the place. What gives? I mean, you really have been getting lazy. The meat cut is just too thick. How can you not notice that? Someone needs to take control of that place. I'm worried, because FC can easily be another restaurant that slips into the nothingness of Shanghai's &where did they go& categories.
Surprisingly good experience!
on October 27, 2013
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
KevinTextbook
Joined Apr
Posted 1 Reviews
When I first heard about this place I figured this had to be some kind of practical joke. However after reading a few good reviews I decided to see for myself what was behind this strange idea of serving US style Chinese food in Shanghai.
I went in with zero hopes, fully expecting this place to confirm everything that is bad about Americans, and laowai business ventures in this city.
Well, I'm glad to say I've eaten my humble pie (with a side of orange chicken).
Regardless of how strange the idea behind the restaurant is (at least to non americans), you need to give credit to these guys for going all the way with it. The chopsticks, menus, take away boxes, decoration all the way to the all american baseball caps and hoodies worn by the staff all create a great atmosphere. Not being an American I can't say that it reminded me of home but I certainly enjoyed this unapologetically Chinese-American environment.
The food itself was surprisingly good. Got the orange chicken, toufu chop suey and a bowl of sweet and sour soup. Everything turned out really good (as long as you enjoy the intensely sweet taste that characterises US style Chinese cuisine). As a self proclaimed Chinese food hipster I almost feel ashamed to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this slice of Chinatown. Surprisingly, my Chinese girlfriend also enjoyed the food and ended up ordering seconds.
Service too was excellent and it looked like everybody around us (waiter or patrons) was having fun. Price was quite reasonable.
Overall, a fun and unexpected experience. I'll be back!
Food Too Sweet, With Too Much Sauce
on October 15, 2013
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Jul 13, 2012
Is Americano
Posted 1 Reviews
Why would someone say that Fortune Cookie is &legit&? Someone who says that makes me question whether or not it is legit!
After going to Fortune Cookie, I know why the Chinese food in the USA has not spread worldwide. The food is loaded with sauce, it seems to be mostly the same sweet sauce on everything. It's dripping with it. Extremely unhealthy (which could explain the number of obese people in the USA). The General Tsao's Beef and even the broccolli... all were swimming in sweet sauce. It's not what I want from a Chinese meal. If I want something sweet, I'll have it for dessert, thank you.
Apparently, there are many Americans around who are happy to have American style Chinese food. Probably this restaurant matches their palette, although some Americans also find it too sweet. I just think people should be informed what the restaurant is about before going and spending a fortune for Chinese food at Fortune Cookie.
I must add, though, that I found the service to be quite pleasant.
What's Not To Like?
on October 14, 2013
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
jacobflowers7
Joined May 26, 2012
Is US/California
Posted 1 Reviews
TL;DR: This place is legit.
So legit, that I am too full to write a generally &full review&. Long story short, the orange chicken will knock you up, the beer chicken (first I've ever had) will make you wish you were in a low lit room so you could tear into it without reserve, General Tsao's beef, seasame shrimp, egg rolls... it's all classic american chinese food.
The only downside (a really huge one)... no delivery at this present moment in time. This is really killing me, and a lot of friends. As in, this is worse that a train wreck. How bad is it when you want american chinese food but are too laze to go and get it. Ouch man.
Last I heard they were partnering up with Sherpa's which might make for difficult rain service. Let's get these chinese paper take-aways pronto.
Rockin the broccoli
on September 23, 2013
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Dec
Is American
Posted 1 Reviews
Checked out Fortune Cookie...as others have suggested the service is great. I thought the decor was pretty cool, and a nice view too. The food was expat-perfect especially the broccoli which has an amazing sauce. Portions are big and the prices are low for Shanghai. Looks like a nice beverage list too. As Arnold says: Ill be back !
Lack of Conciseness implies Abundance of deliciousness from within the confines of Fortune Cookie (a.k.a., the Steve Jobs of restaurant reviews)
on September 16, 2013
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Wordimus_Maxabillion
Joined Sep 16, 2013
Is Canadian
Posted 1 Reviews
I ate at Fortune Cookie resulting in an experience that was of the upmost excellence, with food mind-bendingly delicious of American-Chinese varietals. It calls to mind eating-times whilst seated in Chinese restaurants physically located in the North American geographical-category.
The above-paragraph speaks nothing of the incredibly amazingly fried dough stick thingies which were of the complimentary-type. To clarify, think of complimentary bread at Italian restaurants. Now imagine you are seated in an American-Chinese restaurant. And instead of bread, you have these fried dough things which are like meth for your mouth. Or heroin for your mouth. Or just ridiculously tastiful. Blue candy wut (*spoken in an ambiguously questioning-tone).
My experiences with Fortune Cookie has included Orange Chicken-focused projects, and a meal in which Beef & Broccoli was included in the scope-of-edibles. Both induced positive emotional reactions within both my brainular region and within my taste-buds. However, Orange Chicken resulted in much more of a happy-times type of expression on my face. Meaning that I smiled lots. However, the winner of the Wordimus Maxabillion gastro-inhalation-prize (selected only from the Fortune Cookie menu sample) must be the Crab Rangoon. Which includes crab cream cheese wrapped in a rangoon-like package. Note to the reader: Rangoons were once the domain only of lawyers, leftist intellectuals, and opium-smoking tapdancers, but much like Williamsburg has become the domain of hipsters. Hence, Crab Rangoon.
Generally good but a couple of serious errors
on September 14, 2013
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
MagicRich666
Joined Sep 28, 2012
Posted 1 Reviews
Went to fortune cookie ready to try a few new dishes from their menu. The chow mien was absolutely fantastic. The Orange Chicken was not O.K. The sauce was a little burnt and tasted bitter. I also found sharp shards of chicken bone in quite a few pieces of chicken which really really disappointed me. I liked thinking that i could hammer away without a care in the world and sadly that is not true. The soup ( hot and sour) was pretty nasty. It tasted of plastic and I don't think that's what they were going for. Sadly I had to throw the soup away. I'll end on a positive note. The moo shoo pork was super. Really well prepared, decent portion and fantastic sauce.
The service was excellent as usual and i love the take out boxes.
Turning Wounds into Wisdom
on September
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
camdenhauge
Joined Oct
Is American
Posted 1 Reviews
I had heard a lot about Fortune Cookie over the course of the summer from excited expat friends who were, perversely, praising its &authentically American-style Chinese food& (which is more convoluted than a fortune cookie wrapper itself, but we'll leave it for now). It was opened by two American guys who wanted to bring any American-Chinese &classics& China could possibly be lacking. I had worried it would be a high-brow or half-baked 'concept' spot at best, but all signs until then had pointed towards the positive.
So we rolled up to the restaurant, or rather &rose& (it's on the 4th floor) - I don't know what it is, but, with very few exceptions (hi Hai!), I just don't like eating off the ground. With this one strike against it, we sat in the well-designed though oddly-shaped room with its kitchy-cool decorations (a money cat wearing a blinged-out chain! Neon!) and immediately started demolishing your classic fried wonton wrapper chips with an exceptional duck sauce.
I was eating with some Fortune Cookie veterans, and the single repeated request was for the crab rangoon, a starter I have never actually tried at home but sounded good on paper - what's not to love about deep-fried cream cheese and imitation crab? Exactly - that was rhetorical. #Murrica.
And &good& doesn't even begin to describe these fatty, fried, gut-busting flavor bombs - ol' Roger, The Hambassador himself, of sHAMhai declared he would like to &roll around in a ballpit& of the little suckers. Sign me up.
Unfortunately, the meal stagnated after this point, although that could just have been our arteries - the moo shu pork was good enough, served as it should be with pancakes to make tidy little packets of sodium, and the orange chicken was tasty in its fluorescent goop, but the spring rolls were so-so and the rest of the meat mains we ordered were completely indistinguishable (&doesn't beef usually taste more like...beef?&).
We didn't even touch our rice, and the only vegetables on the table were the token broccoli trees planted on a few of the plates to visually break up the various shades of brown. Needless to say, dessert was not an option.
However, despite the less-than-ideal location and largely heavy, oil-drenched dishes, the restaurant still managed to leave a great impression. It's stylish, the servers are lovely, and the 'concept' isn't too over-wrought to be enjoyable. It was, in the best ways, exactly like being back in America - enjoying a greasy Chinese meal and knowing you'll pay for it later.
We finished with the restaurant's namesake, the token touch that probably kicked off the whole idea. My fortune was: &Turn your wounds into wisdom&. Deeeep, man.
I don't know if it was suggesting that we only order the crab rangoon next time (and a Dragon Bowl - YOLO), but it's advice I'll try and take.
Thank you, (I'll) come again.
(Full review - with grade-A cell phone pictures - at: /)
It makes me feel like I just ate American-style Chinese food
on September
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Sep
Posted 1 Reviews
The most important takeaway from this review is that the proprietors,
their staff and the overall experience at Fortune Cookie is great, every time. Love the lights, love the cheesy flatbrim gimmick, love the creepy waving NY-sports-themed gold cat. That cat is money as hell. Mad good. And the crab rangoon? G that shit is delicious. I'll have all of them, please.
And they are exactly what they advertise: high-end American-style Chinese food. Tastes like home. Rich, delicious, saucy (which are re-imported from the US; what a world we live in!). But it isn't only taste that Fortune Cookie shares with it's American inspiration.
Guys, here's the thing: Every time I go to Fortune Cookie I feel like an absolute pile of shit when I leave. Last night I wanted to curl up like one of those cement balls they have outside on Changshu Lu to keep that idiot with the matte-purple BMW from driving on the sidewalk (side note: what the fuck, guy? Why would you ever do that to that poor car?).
To be completely clear, I don't mean t it has never. I am in no way saying that they are unsanitary. They are not. You know that feeling when you chug a bucket of honey and wash it down with an entire box of Cap'n Crunch? It's like that. (America.)
Growing up, when leaving Sze-chuan West on Stadium Road in Ann Arbor, Michigan, I always felt the same way: horrible, like I had eaten a civil war. What I am saying is that whatever ingredients they use in that food makes me want to die, and -- even more upsetting -- makes me want to go back again and put myself through the agony as though nothing had ever happened. I don't know how they do it (probably science).
Fortune Cookie is, truly, exactly like American Chinese food. For better or worse.
Are you going to tell me my
on August 26, 2013
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
millefeuille
Joined Dec 11, 2010
Posted 1 Reviews
After all those reviews on Smart I was just I guess just over excited by this new venue.
The venue is actually fun and the deco is also pretty loud but fun
The concept of having American Chinese food was actually a fun thing!
H?(C)las..H?(C)las... I was actually disappointed by the taste of the food... Extremely rich and sickening... I guess I pick the wrong time for it as Shanghai was around 42 degrees...
Surely, I am an Oh la la girl- Do not blame me for this....
But, the taste of the so-called Orange chicken was just extremely sweet brown sauce and not &orangy&. I saw the zests and I could not work out the blend flavor!!!! I think that sugar was just overpowering the whole dish and it felt like extremely heavy but I put this on the weather.
The portion was right though. 2 girls had surely enough for lunch on this day.
Moreover, we ordered
supposedly Cream cheese and shrimp deep fried dumplings... But both my friend and I bit it and look at it carefully and could see only small lil pinky spots in it.... Could not taste any sh-(
But the positive side is that the service was really up to standards. The wait staff very sweet and nice! The decoration is pretty cool though!
Strangely, I was bluntly assuming that all Chinese restaurant around the world would have kind of a standard taste but it was nothing like the one we get in France.
Well, I guess if you are American you will just love it but I did not work for me.
Maybe Because I'm An American
on August 11, 2013
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
TimeOfYourLife
Joined Mar
Posted 1 Reviews
So spot on it's sickening. Fortune Cookie is the Chinese food you always wanted to have but ended up with the traditional local Chinese food. If that makes sense. The two guys where there when we went in the afternoon around 3:00p.m. A couple of tables in there and the place looked legit. 2 orders of potstickers, orange chicken, something beef and chicken chow mien, massive portion of white rice. I started to laugh with my friends because everything was just like home. NYC style and amazing. 278rmb later, I was happy to pay. Will be back many times. Better than Tock's in my opinion. Once they get the delivery going I'll be hitting that up too. FoRealz.
Maybe because im not american
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Thomassmith
Joined Aug
Posted 1 Reviews
So its my first review, i thought i would review this place first, as its upon reading via here i wanted to check out fortune cookie.
Well i share everyone thoughts on the service, it was very good, if not a little be over done and slightly on the annoying side after every time a waiter passes your table they say hello, the same waiter can say hello 10 times or more within 30 minutes. The owners are very nice and welcoming.
For the food well, maybe it's because i'm British i thought the food quite simply was crap. everything was in the same sweet brown sauce. from the sesame shrimp, generals beef and the pork ribs. The prawn toast at 45rmb was a total rip off, a tiny tiny piece of bread cut into 4 and drenched in oil. Back in the UK shrimp toast is one of my favorites and this was far from a good effort.
Sadly Fortune cookie reminded why outside of china i don't like Chinese cuisine very much.
Value wise i thought it was on the pricey side for Chinese food, but the dishes are pretty good portion wise, just a shame i couldn't even finish half of each dish.
American Chinese Food in Shanghai? Not crazy, GENIUS!
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
GlasgowGirl
Joined Oct 17, 2011
Is British
Posted 1 Reviews
OK, so following on from all the glowing reports on SS and having a major hankering for some sweet and sour chicken I decided to hit up Fortune Cookie with a friend on Monday night. All I can say is - WELL DONE GUYS!! Everything was simply fantastic, it's hard to believe this place has only been open a month.
First off, we rock up on a Monday night and the place is already full - nice work! So pleased to see that a newbie to the restaurant scene is off to a flying start, and we took this as an indication of good things to come, esp. as the owners were so massively apologetic that they couldn't accommodate us immediately - no biggie, it's not like you're short of nearby venues to pop in to for a wee pre-dinner aperitif.
So the food: western style Chinese in China shouldn't make sense, but it does!!! Many's the time I've had a major craving for some sweet & sour and fried rice and you just can't get it here! Seriously, my family back home think I'm nuts that one of my first stop-offs when I get back to the UK is the local Chinese takeaway, but no longer! And just for the record you Brits out there, the standard US-Chinese fare is pretty much the same as back in Blighty, with the added bonus you can actually find out what Chop Suey and Moo Shou Pork are (or that may have just been in my part of the country, but certainly I've never seen them on a menu back home before). And this S&S hit the mark! Instantly transported to Friday night takeaways watching Home & Away (when it was on ITV) then Neighbours. Actually probably better than the stuff I used to get back home, as this was proper, tasty chicken breast and not that kinda tasteless, white, processed protein-of-some-description that was loosely used as a carrier for the S&S sauce back home(although again, that may just be my local takeaway). Everything else we had (lettuce cups, chow mein, spring rolls) was equally excellent but to be frank I was there for the S&S.
And praise be, the service! Hallelujah! You can tell from the get-go that these guys have seriously invested in tra there are plenty of places around town who should take note, the service beats even some of the 5* places I've been to hands down. Super efficient, service was both seamless and friendly and a credit to the owners. Speaking of whom, the owners were up-front and centre, making sure everyone was happy and enjoying their meal. 10 out of 10 guys!
What else, what else?? The takeout boxes!! I've never understood why those white card takeout boxes didn't make it to our shores in the UK, nice touch!!
So go get your fix of comfort Chinese food like you get back home and support these guys - they deserve it! I hope (and fully expect) to see a chain of Fortune Cookies springing up in the near future. And pick a winning fortune cookie and you just might win a happy, waving golden kitty-cat!
Granny Would Be Proud
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
matteroffact
Joined Aug 25, 2011
Is in the cracks of the city's concrete
Posted 1 Reviews
After reading a few positive reviews here on SmrtSh, I decided to go check out this strange anomaly of a restaurant for myself.
My stomach feels like I just walked out of Vancouver's Chinatown circa 1988.
I never ate much Chinese food growing up. Most meals were prepared at home by Mom or Dad - meat and potatoes kind of thing. Once and a while we had a curry or stir-fry, but it was pretty much Canadamericana food all the way.....except when Grandma came to visit. My granny LOVED Chinese food. All of it. She'd love Fortune Cookie.
We ordered the kung pow chicken, vegetable and tofu stir-fry and General Tao's beef. Good, good and good. It tasted so authentically inauthentic that I had a flashback to those days in the late 80s/early 90s with my grandma, sitting around the dinner table with Chinese food delivery piping hot in those silver take out trays and cardboard boxes. It almost brought a tear to my eye.
On top of that, the service is top notch. I don't think you'll find a more prepared and friendly staff than the one the works at FC (at least at this price range).
A must visit for North Americans.
A taste of home!
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Jun 12, 2012
Is American
Posted 1 Reviews
The place is really great and is a must go!!!
When you arrive it has such a welcoming atmosphere that I felt I
could stay there all day (and I almost did haha!) You get the vibe that the people at Fortune Cookie really care about what they do and know that the customer come first!! This was my first time to this place but the food quality was excellent, the lunch specials are a bang for your buck (food portions are almost intimidating!)
and the staff is very friendly!
I would love to see them expand their menu a bit more ( egg drop wonton soup!)
but I'm not complaining with the items they offer now!
Whatever you can't finish, just get that &da bao& and eat it later, cold and right out of the box! I don't know what it is but that packaging adds a whole other level of deliciousness!! The price is right, the mood is right and the overall experience was splendid .
Will be returning to this place often for sure! Great job to the people at Fortune Cookie!
Nostalgia Inc.
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Aug 18, 2009
Is American
Posted 1 Reviews
Let me start by saying a &Thank you& to FC team for not updating the food that I grew up on.
I know it isn't authentic Chinese, but it is Authentic to thousands of North American family dinners when Mom was just too tired to cook and you didn't want Pizza. And what is more Authentically Chinese than having to have dinner with parents while they berate for your lack luster grades.
I order from Fortune Cookie, and I am astounded by their level of customer service.
The person on the other end of the phone enthusiastically takes my order, and even offers advice telling me that perhaps I have ordered too much.
Gold star for honesty.
I order the crab rangoon, pork egg rolls, mushu pork, and chicken fried rice.
Its 1993 in the suburbs in Anytown USA in Shanghai.
The FC team is on point.
They even take the food down to my waiting taxi with change already counted.
At this point they could have served me cold MCDs and I would have been happy.
The food was good, not great but good.
It was a comforting, salty, sweet, heavy, reminder of home which on a tired Friday when you are too tired to think is exactly what you need.
I will be back.
Definitely bagged this "?>??¤??(R)??EURoe
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Mar 18, 2013
Is American
Posted 1 Reviews
I've been here three times in the past two weeks and I've had such consistently good experiences there I thought I'd jump on the review bandwagon.
The food is delicious, I especially recommend the buffalo wings, sweet and sour chicken and general tsao's beef. Their five-grain rice is also great and I really appreciate them putting that on the menu. The service is super and everybody just seems to genuinely want to make your dining experience as pleasant as possible.
One thing I'd like to point out is that the hot and sour soup was really good but I just wished it was a bigger portion, especially for 20+ kuai.
I really hope they keep it up as it's a refreshing experience here.
They did everything but offer me a "special massage"!
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
aarongallery
Joined Mar 18, 2008
Is Canadian
Posted 1 Reviews
It is hard for me to even find a place to start with this review.
Fortune cookie has figured something out that so many Shanghai restaurants have forgotten: the customer is important (Cough *Dakota*cough).
I went with a friend to Fortune cookie on a rainy thursday night and was absolutely enthralled with the place from the moment I arrived. Firstly, we were greeted at the door and quickly seated. The environment was EXACTLY what you would expert from a Chinese restaurant in North America. The music was right up my alley (the national, The shins, an indie rock paradise).
The food was mouthwatering, big portions and more than reasonably priced. The sauces on the Sweet and sour chicken was perfectly executed and the meats were all boneless and exactly what we get back in Canada.
The real test came when I had had an issue with one dish (I wont go into detail but it is a common restaurant issue). I am not normally the kind of person to make any sort of complaint at a restaurant but I decided to put them to the test. I told my friend that after I sent it back the proper response should be the &front of house& to come and apologize and offer us something.
This is what happened:
First the front of house came to tell us that not only were they sorry but also that they would take it off the bill. I was satisfied....but wait! were you done there fortune cookie?! Nope! you sneaky bastard, you had more in store for us.
The chef actually came out, shook my hand, apologized sincerely and offered to get us something else ON THE HOUSE! are you kidding me?! I graciously declined the offer but flat out told him that they had won over 2 customers and that we would sing their praises.
I only hope that some other restaurants read these reviews (of which there are several regarding the hospitality at fortune cookie) and make some changes.
Can I have some free stuff now Smartshanghai?
love always
Great food, great service!
on July 27, 2013
Value for Money
Suitable for ...
The Service
Business Dinner
With Friends
Joined Jan 11, 2011
Is American
Posted 1 Reviews
The food is great (large portions at reasonable prices) but what I really want to comment about is the customer service. I've been in several times now for lunch and dinner and each time not only have the owners been very friendly, warm and welcoming, but the wait staff also shares the same attentive enthusiasm as the owners - all of which is at least a little bit rare in a city where some restaurants treat you like shit for the privilege of dining in their restaurants (I'm not saying I have a vendetta against Cantina Agave, but ... I'm looking at you, Cantina Agave ...). The first time I went to Fortune Cookie I had just returned from a trip to the US (during which time I had seen a million friends' photos on Instagram of their meals at Fortune Cookie) and the service was pretty much exactly like what I would expect in the West ('the food will be out shortly', 'how is the meal?', they were also willing to make substitutions/amendments to an order with zero hassle) which was really, really refreshing in this city.
Bonus to good service? The food is awesome! And the lunch sets - so much food for something like 50 - 60 kuai!
No articles found.
There are no matching articles.
More From Us:

我要回帖

更多关于 school 2013 的文章

随机推荐