Fish & Seafood Cooking
About Today
Living Healthy
There was an error. Please try again.
Please select a newsletter.
Please enter a valid email address.
Did you mean ?
Pamela Lao/Moment/Getty Images
Nearly every fish or other sea critter is edible, but not every one is edible raw. Raw fish has been in fashion in the West for some time, but sushi and sashimi has been part of Japanese cuisine for centuries. Follow their lead to see which fish you can eat raw.You will often find me saying that you can use "any fish you'd find in a sushi bar" for any of the raw dishes I feature on this site. What does that mean?
What if you've never been to a sushi bar? Well, let's start you off with the classic raw fish you'll see in a sushi-ya, as they are called in Japan: Tuna, of any sort (bluefin, yellowfin, bigeye, skipjack, bonito, albacore and a few rarer others)
Salmon, although more on this popular fish later.
Clams, scallops and abalone -- although not oysters, which while tasty raw, don't go well with .
Yellowtail, a type of jack fish called hamachi in Japanese. My favorite raw fish.
Halibut or flounder, known as hirame in sushi-speak.
Squid, which is typically flash-cooked for a few seconds.
Gizzard shad. Yep, this bait fish the Japanese call kohada is esteemed in some circles. I like it because it is fishy -- but not in a bad way. All forms of mackerel, saba or aji in Japanese, although they are always treated with vinegar before serving.
Seabass, porgies and snapper. All are bass-like fish, and all are commonly seen in
places under the names of tai and suzuki. These too are often treated before serving raw.
Now I will add this one: Any farmed fish from the United States, Norway, Britain, New Zealand, Canada or Japan. These countries have strict standards about cleanliness and you will not find parasites in their
-- even freshwater fish such as trout or sturgeon.Did I say parasites? Yep. I did. Parasites are a fact of life when you eat meat, and that's one reason why humans decided to cook their food thousands of years ago. Heat kills worms. So does frost, but some can survive a home freezer (although not a good box freezer).This is why I would recommend to you that all seafood you decide to eat raw be previously frozen. It is just safer that way. Yes, fresh is better in most cases, but even professional sushi chefs freeze their salmon first -- salmon is unusually susceptible to parasites.The critters you need to worry about are cod worms, seal worms and tape worms. Cod worms are of course found in cod, haddock, pollock and hake. They are easily visible to the naked eye and are easily removed -- if you catch them. Good New England fish houses "candle" their fish by putting the
on a light box to detect the worms. Now you know why cod is never seen at a sushi bar.Seal worms are found in salmon, mackerel, Pacfic rockfish, jacksmelt, some halibut and other flounders -- even shad on the West Coast. This is why mackerel are treated with vinegar in sushi preparation. These worms are little brown things that curl up like a spring. You can miss them if you don't look carefully, but if you are looking (and always look with jacksmelt and herring) you can pick them out.Neither cod nor seal worms will kill you. If you eat one, they will typically pass right through you and you will never know. But sometimes they will successfully attach themselves to your stomach, causing nausea and abdominal pain. They'll die soon enough, but not before being unpleasant.Tapeworms are far nastier. They live in lots and lots of freshwater fish, to the point that only the foolish would even think about eating a wild trout or
raw. Tapeworms can live inside people and can grow to 20 feet long inside you. Ick! Unless it is farmed, skip the walleye sashimi.Another key factor in eating raw fish is freshness. it goes without saying that a fish that has not been treated well from the second it came over the rail of the boat is not going to be a good fish to eat raw.Sushi-grade fish are caught quickly, bled upon capture, gutted soon after and iced thoroughly. It matters. A lot. A piece of fish can be perfectly good to eat cooked but nasty raw. Cooking kills a lot of bacteria and such that begin to accumulate in raw fish after it dies.If you catch fish and want to eat them raw, remember which fish you can do this with from the list above. It is not exhaustive, but it's a good guide.If you catch such a fish, do as the pros do:Bleed it by slicing though the gills and/or cutting a slice near the tail all the way to the backbone. Gut the fish on the boat. Most worms that are found in fish once lived in the animal's guts, then migrated to the flesh after the fish died. Fast gutting prevents this in most cases. Bring ice on the boat, even in . Buy many pounds, and then buy one more bag: It's worth it. Don't let all of this scare you: Eating raw fish is a wonderful
I eat raw fish many times a month. Just be smart about what you're doing and you'll be fine.
Choosing Fish and Seafood for Sushi, Sashimi or Other Raw DishesAiyoku Steak Sushi Bar - Japanese - 721 N
Watson Rd - Arlington, TX - Reviews - Photos - Menu - Yelp
72 reviews
Start from
Start from
Watson Rd, Arlington, TX 76011
Get directions
Watson RdArlington, TX 76011
Phone number
(682) 226-6077
“They also have
on sushi so we loaded up.”
“Just thinking about the
makes my stomach rumble in desire.”
“Ordered the , nice presentation, but sttill love the ahi tower from cafe hanna.”
Your trust is our top concern, so businesses can't pay to alter or remove their reviews.
This is the best restaurant for the amount of money you spend! The food was fresh and received an adequate amount that will make you reconsider ordering another roll of sushi. Service was excellent as well! I ordered the salmon teriyaki meal which came with miso soup salad as a starter. Then the entree was a salmon fillet, veggies and fried rice. Omg so yumm. My daughter ordered a shrimp tempura which was really good too. Whatever sauces they used to top it off make my mouth water. My son ordered the volcano roll which is spicy and sweet and served on a huge shell. This can be split between two people because of how big it is.
Shrimp tempura, snow crab sushi roll and fried rice
Miso soup and salad comes with entree
Volcano roll
Three stars.Atmosphere - great, the bar and furnishings are nice.
It is a good combo between restaurant and bar.Drinks - not good, the cocktail we ordered was weak and the flavor was lackluster.
They were out of pino noir so I had to Seattle for a Chardonnay....the wine list is very small for a steak restaurant/bar.Sushi - EXCELLENT!!
Presentation is top notch, and the flavor are beautiful.
This is the reason to come here!Steaks -
Do not order a steak here....this is truly disappointing considering steak is right there in the name and yet, this is probably the worst part of the evening.
First of all the meat was on par with something I could get at Denny's or IHOP, my New York strip contained massive amounts of gristle and was nearly impossible to chew, Second it was overcooked, third it lacked any kind of flavor.
They provided two dipping sauces with the steak, one I couldn't tell if it was really any different than the soy sauce provided on the table, the other was a white sauce with an orange colored oil in it (I guess sesame oil?) which was almost flavorless.
The vegetables and mashed potatoes were the saving grace of the meal. The steak and drinks alone would warrant a one star rating, the only reason I gave this place three stars is for the Sushi, which is excellent and worth the trip.....stay away from the steak!
56 friends
96 reviews
The sushi here was amazing!!! We had a groupon for two meals. the entrees were decent but the sushi is the reason why I'll be coming back. it was very well put together and tasted like I was eating my dreams!The service here was good. He constantly filled up our drinks and got us whatever we needed. The drinks here are not good. The margaritas tasted pretty nasty. Will return for the Sushit!!!
1823 friends
157 reviews
12/29/2014
Sushi in Texas! Being from Vegas (capital of the best restaurants) and from LA I'm sorta a sushi snob! I wasn't expecting anything from going to a sushi place in Texas which was surrounded by steak houses and BBQ joints! But I had my heart on having sushi with my family & I'm so happy we went! The place itself was HUGE and walking in we were all alone which always scares me but more folks started coming in throughout our meal.The service was excellent with a great server and the presentations were very Vegas which made me smile (volcano roll was on fire!) loved it! The sushi was great! Not the very best because I'm spoiled but still pretty damn great! I would definitely go back & if you're craving sushi in Texas this is the place to go!
Volcano roll! On fire!
Amazing presentations!
Seaweed salad
I'm a regular. I love this place! I come as often as I can. Not only is their sushi good, the staff is too! I'm pretty sure every front of the house worker knows me and my drink order and a general idea of what I'm going to get. It's big and never crowded. Every day is happy hour from 3-7!
Louisiana roll, California roll, salmon, and Alaskan. Yum!!!
We had the California roll, shrimp tempura roll and The Crazy Boy, everything was Delicious! Loved the Happy Hour prices
13 reviews
All the food was great and fast prices are a bit high but worth it just look at my dinner that turned into lunch
This place has great food with a wonderful atmosphere. The menu is pretty affordable especially for a Japanese restaurant...they even have a kids menu! We arrived around 10:30pm, so most of the people in the restaurant were in the bar area. Overall, it was very quite with a quaint feel. Service was good. I would definitely recommend this place if you are in the area.
Menu--sushi and signature rolls.
320 friends
216 reviews
Karaoke every Friday and Saturday night.
Very fun and the drinks be flowin!Haven't eaten there although my wife says the sushi is quite good.
24 reviews
Super super service right out of the gates.
Happy hour drinks an excellent value.
We had the strawberry margarita and the Texas bloody mary for $5 bucks each as starters and it was good size.
Then we had three different sushi rolls, the cowboy, Louisiana and the deagon.
All were awesome!
Fianally chicken and shrimp teriyaki!
Get it with the fried rice....bonus!
More sushi
Teriyaki chicken and shrimp
Teriyaki Chicken
612 friends
293 reviews
The only reason why I would ever find myself here is for their cheap lunch specials.
For about $7 you can get yourself pretty full off a bento box or some basic rolls.
I wasn't too impressed with the food but didn't really expect much as well.
The dressing for the salad is not as good as most Japanese restaurants.
The teriyaki chicken is dry.
The tempura is pretty good and taste like anything you would get anywhere else.
I felt like being fancy on one of my visits and ordered a sushi roll that cost me $20 after tip.
It was good but definitely not worth the price.Service is quick and friendly, but I've only been here during lunch so it's pretty dead.
Aiyoku is very clean and there is plenty of seating.
17 friends
11 reviews
One of the worst dining experiences I've had. Restaurant was empty, despite it being nowhere near opening or closing, waitress took forever to come over and then took equally as long to get our drinks. After ordering, our food took a long time to come out and on top of that they all came out at different times. We never got our appetizers. A member in our party had ordered just sashimi (a slice of raw fish) and was the last to receive her dish at an hour and a half. We were informed it was because it needed time to thaw. I'm usually pretty forgiving with service, I know it's a tough job, but it was lack luster and rude. We won't be going back.
Our first time going tonight and it was a great experience.
My kids loved it also. The lady that helped us was very nice and let us know the favorites on the menu.
They have a happy hour which is very affordable. I would definitely term people about this place.
56 reviews
Came here with a groupon. Thank goodness it all worked out...because it was delicious! So much food for such a great price. Sometimes groupon screws you, but not here! The waiter was such a nice and relaxed guy. Everything came out perfect! So happy I tried it out!
11/27/2014
Food was decent. Service was horrible. My Bloody Mary tasted like pure tomato juice. Had to ask for a shot of vodka.
And they charged me for it. Again, service was horrible.
20 reviews
My wife and I have were brought here by friends last year, and since then it has been one our absolute favorite places to come for dinner.
We usually come for the sushi, and I've only really strayed from that as far as often getting udon or sometimes some fried rice.
However, the sushi is tasty.
It's not as fancy as you might find in some places, but it's still quite good and affordably priced. And if you want even stronger deals, the 5-7 happy hour has some really cheap rolls, and cheap pints for bringing a few friends after work.
328 friends
842 reviews
This review is completely based on karaoke Friday and Saturday nights. I wouldn't think that this place would be so packed, but it was! There's a few pool tables, a dance floor and of course a stage to sing your heart out on. The drink prices are fair and they even have 1$ jello shots if you're feeling frisky. I had lots of fun and I'm sure I'll be back soon.
13 reviews
From out of town & stopped here for sushi. Odd setup of a sushi & sports bar combo kept it interesting. Happy hour helps pricing otherwise pricey for sushi quality. Wasabi roll was good and full of flavor but jalape?o roll was lacking. Majority of rolls are simply different versions of California Roll. Not much for variety. Can play pool if you like and apparently have karaoke on Fri & Sat nights.
81 reviews
This place was a bit of a let down. The food was a little expensive and the quality was definitely lacking. If you look carefully at the rolls, a lot of them are recycles of a base roll with one or two small tweaks. Maybe it was because it was late at night or maybe it is just because I'm a spoiled CA kid where sushi prices are directly tied to the quality of fish but I couldn't help but feel a little swindled. Atmosphere was great and decor was really well done.
Went in for lunch and left with a "well that was pretty good". Wouldn't call it a 4 star but also didn't have any real issues with the food.I had a lunch special bento box Miko Roll. 4 Rolls of spicy tuna and 4 California rolls, salad, rice and a orange. All pretty good but would have liked at least 1 more of each roll. The ginger salad dressing was pretty good.The only problem I had was the miso soup that comes with. On the miso soup scale it ranks about a 2. I know miso soup should not be served piping hot but i thought it could have been a little warmer and the taste was missing something I could not put my finger on.The restaurant itself has a water fall in the middle, I am a fan of running water so this was pretty nice. I would say all in all atmosphere is pretty good.Would I suggest this place for Sushi? Yes I think it is worth trying. Would I return? Maybe if I was asked to go but not sure if I will set out on my own account to return.Total check for water and Miko Roll Bento Box Lunch Special: 8.95.
10/19/2014
The crispy calamari is soo good! Maybe I'm just a fan of all that has to do with calamari but this was really good. My husband had the hot sake and I had a peach mojito, that was made really strong it gave me a strong headache afterwards. The kids meals are quite expensive, your looking at 7-9$ a kids meal. It's not really worth getting a kids meal. The sushi is really good and not very expensive. Love their soy sauce, I don't know if they make their own or just use kikkoman, but that's some good stuff! The udon noodles that came with my meal were great! All in all a great experience!
103 friends
319 reviews
People that I went with definitely made this place a 5 starsFood wise..I wouldn't call myself a fan of its sushi, they're decent, but rather dull when it comes to the taste. Or maybe it's just the people that I was hanging out that made the sushi seem less interesting, and all the TVs were distracting me from focusing on the taste of my food!Not really sure, but I'll definitely go back again when I'm in that area again.
31 reviews
We went to try it out because of the happy hour specials, but out of 6 rolls my boyfriend and I only really liked 2 of them. The Judy roll was so bad neither one of us could eat it.
My shrimp tempura had tuna or imitation crab or something in it.
The jalape?o was my favorite but I thought it was weird the whole roll was warm,
the boyfriend really liked the Russian roll but there was a crunch to it I didn't like.
Eghhh....cool place...very greedy with the fish....practically could see through a couple pieces....prices are high for the quality....If you want to play pool while you eat then this is ok
We eat here fairly often and are never let down. Their happy hour is great and we especially love their yellowtail and albacore sashimi. Don't forget the green tea ice cream!
96 friends
933 reviews
$5 pitchers til 7pm M-F!Met an old college buddy for dinner when he was in town. I don't know Arlington that well so I went to Yelp to look for 4 star places by his hotel, and we ended up here. Upon entering it is weird, a sushi/sports bar. The service was good and the waitress did not constantly interrupt so we could talk. The happy hour special on beer is great. They also have happy hour prices on sushi so we loaded up. The sushi was good, above average, but not the very best I have had. It was more than passable and I would consider returning. The fact that it is so close to The Ballpark and still has decent food is surprising, often one finds overpriced mediocre food only.
I couldn't eat the sushi. I paid my bill and left.
Everything seemed reheated -- microwaved -- like the miso soup was room temp but the bowl was scorching hot. That should have been my first clue.
They poured some weird, sweet salad dressing-like sauce all over the rolls, they were soaked in it, nothing that belongs in a sushi restaurant.
Better sushi at the grocery store.
169 friends
215 reviews
11/13/2012
My first impression of the restaurant was that it was extremely clean and empty. But I did like the aura that the
it was very much like a clean bar scene. The lack of people in the restaurant made me question if the food was good, seeing as though nobody wanted to come at a peak hour. But each time I have visited, the hostess and waitresses were extremely friendly. I would recommend coming for happy hour or during lunch, because Aiyoku has a lunch special of $7 bento boxes.The food here is fresh and the wait time isn't long for orders that take precision to make. I would highly recommend the Judy roll. The presentation of the meals are excellent and taste just as good as they look. The bento boxes are also really great deals for the amount of food that you receive. Each box comes with a salad, miso soup, tempura, rice, California rolls, and whatever side you choose.4/5 stars. This restaurant is great, but not the best I've ever tasted. If you're in the area, don't hesitate to try it out!
Terribly clean.
Inviting, attentive staff.
Very nice presentation.
Enough room in the booths to feel like there's some ambiance. GREAT happy hour options for sushi and beverages, alike.
Extensive menu.
A new favorite.
Recommend this restaurant.
Will absolutely be back!!
22 friends
276 reviews
I am honestly admitting that on our trip to Dallas, Texas...we tried sushi. It sounds like a bad idea, and it was! I did yelp it like I yelp everything else but I shoud've backed out of the deal when we saw 5 cars outside on a Saturday night. Upon entering we realized that all 5 cars had to be the employee's cars. The girls ordered rolls and the guys ordered steaks. The guy's steaks were tough and were not seasoned like they like and the sauce was sticky sweet, yet very salty...does that make sense?
( I love salty and this was crazy salty) I ordered the New York rolls and they were...just okay. The lettuce wraps that we ordered for an appetizer came while we were eating our entrees. That's never a good sign. We did eat our food, but hey, we're gluttons! We did think it would make a pretty cool nightclub scene in this restaurant. It was a cross between and nightclub and a bar, and sushi was an after thought. Cuz, really? Who wants to mosey into the next room after some sushi and play pool? Hmmm...not us.
77 friends
84 reviews
Probably biggest plus about Aiyoku is how close I live to them. And yet, if I want sushi, I'll drive to Irving to get it most of the time. I only seem to come here whenever I'm in a hurry and don't want to cook. While they make okay sushi, their rolls are similarly meh (albeit with unnecessary sauce on even their more simple rolls), and they served the worst chirashi I've ever had, I seem to keep coming back every so often. I guess what sums up my opinion of Aiyoku is this: good enough for when I'm desperate.
16 friends
15 reviews
This was the worst dining experience of my life.
Service was terrible.
Very rude people working there.
We finally had to leave, I never got my drink or food.
People were leaving it was so bad.
There were hardly any people there which should have been a clue.DO NOT GO TO THIS RESTAURANT!
51 friends
37 reviews
The best sushi restaurant in DFW! This place will probably become a regular place to eat once you try it! When you walk into the restaurant you might think, "am I at a spa?" because of the peaceful sound of fountains... think again. This greeting is also followed by a welcoming staff and ample seating choices. Whether you need a secluded booth, a spot next to one of their many sports broadcasting tv's (go Rangers!), a seat at the bar or a game of pool... they have it.Their wide selection of delicious items set it as a top competitor among other restaurants and their specials make it the best place to eat!Happy Hour prices as low as $3 for 6-8 pieces among sushi selections. My husband and I have basically come here every week since we discovered it. We suggest the Shrimp Tempera Roll, Crazy Boy Roll, and Crabmeat Dynamite Roll!The staff is extremely friendly and so sweet to us every time we visit and even to others we may bring along. Each time they bring out a cucumber appetizer with our sushi. The miso soup is also good if you are the tofu type... my husband isn't but he just takes it out and gives it to me.I hope you enjoy this place as much as my husband and I have!
Miso soup and cucumber appetizer.
Closest to us... 2 Crazy Boy Rolls, 2 Shrimp Tempera Rolls and a half eaten Louisiana Roll. Favs @ Aiyoku
Ridiculously slow service took 20 min for the waiter to take my order and 40 to bring it call 5 times before coming to place a to go order and they answered once put me on hold for seven minutes then hang up on me and never answer again !! Food was great but not worth the hassle
11/25/2013
Best sushi, and amazing happy hour. We frequently get 5 rolls for around $20. Best value in Arlington or Fort Worth.
31 friends
32 reviews
I am happy to announce: I have a new Sushi home! Part of the sadness of packing up and moving across half the country is knowing you will have to reestablish your favorite, go-to places in the new city. And while this process creates a great excuse to go out to eat often, with sushi it means suffering through unacceptable eateries until striking gold.And Aiyoku was me striking gold, and it feels good. Though, to be honest, it was a little pricier than I would have liked. They did have a happy hour (noon to seven) menu of discounted drinks and sushi rolls, which did help edge down the cost a smidgen. The food was delicious. We started with the dumplings -- awesome. Then moved on the four different types of sushi. One with tuna and jalapenos, not my usual choice, but awesome nonetheless. One with steak -- awesome. One with shrimp tempura -- awesome. And the Crazy Boy roll -- to. effing. die. for.Just thinking about the Crazy Boy roll makes my stomach rumble in desire. It is beyond good. We ended the night with mochi ice cream. And that was just so-so. It could just not be for me. Meh, to each their own.The service was wonderful. I suggest asking for Lie (pronounced Lee). She was friendly, sweet and helpful. The atmosphere (always important to me) was soothing and beautiful. I will be back here and it will be sometime soon. Perhaps late on a Friday or Saturday evening when they have karaoke and music. I absolutely cannot wait til then.
Mochi Ice Cream :)
30 friends
176 reviews
My favorite Sushi Restaurant !!!!!Reasonable prices .....
Food was good, service was good! Loved the fried rice! Very affordable happy hour 3-7pm! Definitely coming back!
10 friends
14 reviews
12/13/2013
Tried to use my
coupon here and they did everything in their power to not let me and said certain things didn't count towards the $25 credit. Ahi tower is good though, and cheap happy hour.
30 friends
16 reviews
This is a hit and miss place. I think more miss than hit. Our third visit here will definitely be our last. After looking at the sushi menu and asking the waitress about a roll if it was raw fish or cooked and being assured that it was indeed NOT cooked and it was raw we ordered it. When we got the roll which had tuna in it, it was very DEFINITELY cooked. Being a bit frustrated we talked with her about it and she was very, Yeah So! We decided to leave and not order dinner. We talked with the manager about it and a few other problems, but she was like, here I get bill. Very rude.
Page 1 of 2
11:00 am - 10:00 pm
Price range
11:00 am - 2:00 am
12:00 pm - 2:00 am
12:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Chicken Yakaitori
Beef Teriyaki
More business info
Takes Reservations
Accepts Credit Cards
Private Lot
Bike Parking
Good for Kids
Good for Groups
Noise Level
Outdoor Seating
Waiter Service
This business is a Yelp advertiser.
People also viewed
171 reviews
I recommend the Volcano roll and the Domo Tower!
105 reviews
Their signature sushi roll, The Incredible Roll, is aptly named.
74 reviews
This place has it all hibachi and sushi.
Related Lists
Companies with WOW factor in business, service AND product! Enjoy.
Browse nearby
What's This?
This user has arrived from Qype, a company acquired by Yelp in 2012. We have integrated the two sites to bring you one great local experience.
What's This?
This user has arrived from Restaurant-Kritik.de, a company acquired by Yelp in 2014. We have integrated the two sites to bring you one great local experience.
What's This?
This user has arrived from Cityvox, a company acquired by Yelp in 2014. We have integrated the two sites to bring you one great local experience.

我要回帖

更多关于 atsushi 的文章

随机推荐